How to Play
Basic Gameplay[edit | edit source]
In One Step From Eden, you select a character and progress through 7 procedurally generated Worlds while powering up with various Spells and Artifacts on your way to reach Eden. There are 4 types of Worlds each with their own set of Enemies and Bosses, and learning their movement/attack patterns is key to victory.
Defeating enemies earns you experience and Sera (money). After every combat Zone, you are presented with a choice between 3 random spells. If you leveled up via experience gained from defeating enemies, you are also given a choice between 3 random artifacts.
At the end of each World you fight one of the other playable characters as a boss. Defeating them gives you two choices:
- Spare them by progressing to the next World, which earns you their thanks, a 400 HP heal, and their assistance in future Worlds
- Execute them by attacking them again, which causes them to drop both a spell and an artifact of higher rarities than normal.
World 8 varies based on whether or not you have spared or executed bosses prior:
- If every boss has been spared, the final boss will be Terrable and fought immediately.
- If at least one boss has been executed, the final boss will be the Gate to Eden and fought immediately.
- If every boss has been executed, you will proceed inside Eden and progress through it as a unique 8th World with its own enemy types, before reaching the final boss, Serif.
Menus[edit | edit source]
Main Menu[edit | edit source]
- Fight your way through Worlds in order to reach Eden.
- Take an ally and reach Eden together.
- Face head-to-head against another player.
- Browse through the in-game library of player Spells and Artifacts.
- View your Achievements, overall statistics, and individual character stats.
- Change various game options.
- Close the game.
Options[edit | edit source]
- Set the controls to your personal preference.
- Set various game options.
- Set up streamer voting and other features for www.twitch.tv.
- Close the options menu.
- Close the game.
Controls[edit | edit source]
PC (XBoxOne Controller)
|Accept||In any menu, select an option.||
|Back||In any menu, back out of the current menu.||
|Spell 1||While in control, cast the Spell in the left slot. (In Co-op, either spell button casts your spell)||
|Spell 2||While in control, cast the Spell in the right slot. (In Co-op, either spell button casts your spell)||
|Weapon||While in control, use your character's unique Weapon.||
|Map||While out of battle, access the map where you can select the next Zone.||
|Remove||While in the Deck menu, remove a Spell, Artifact, or Pact using a .||
|Pet Snap||While in control with a Pet, toggle between the pet following you or snapping to your character's tile.|
|Deck/Shop||While out of battle, view and alter your Spells and Focuses.
Also view your character's stats: , , , , and average spell Cost.
and are used in this menu.
If in a Shop zone with the Shopkeeper, the shop menu also opens.
|Shuffle||While in control, Spells in your Deck.all||
|Skip Reward||During reward selection, opt out of selecting a reward.|
|Upgrade||While in the Deck menu, Upgrade a spell using an .||
|Up/Down/Left/Right||Move the character and navigate menus.||
|Menu||During gameplay, access the pause menu.While out of battle, the player can save a run to continue later.||
|Outfit||On the character select screen, change to an unlocked outfit. (On Character Select screen)||
|Dab (Saffron only)||Dab||Shuffle + Remove|
|???||While in the shop screen, cause the shopkeeper to say certain voice lines.||Shuffle|
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- Spared bosses do various things as the game continues. Shiso and Gunner give you stuff (usually a heal or an artifact) at Campsites; Reva has a chance to save you if you would die; Selicy causes damage to enemies at the start of a fight, Hazel summons one basic turret, Terra cracks a bunch of enemy tiles, and Shopkeeper drops you money scattered on your side of the field.
- Different bosses appear in different areas, so you can easily evade boss fights you hate... for a little while. You'll fight them all eventually. Practice their patterns. The longer you wait, the stronger the bosses become, so you might think about fighting the harder bosses first.
- Don't be afraid to heal enemies with spell effects; most things that heal (Booster Shot, Cold Medicine) end up doing a more damage later.
- Set your Focuses by opening your deck and clicking on the two "?" marks over the list of spells you have. The increased chance to get a card from the brand you like helps, but it also decreases your , so you can't get rarer cards that easily.
- Don't be afraid to skip cards or Artifacts. Just like in other deck-building games, having too much in your deck can be fatal.